Cupping therapy is a technique adopted from the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), used to treat several health conditions.
In the last 4 years, cupping has gained increased popularity around the globe. The traditional therapy became all the rage in the medical community and among patients after the Olympics in 2016 when athletes started talking about it.
Types of Cupping
Centuries ago, cupping treatments used the horns of animals. Therapists then started using bamboo cups and then ceramic cups to perform the treatment. Since, they didn’t have suction machines back in the old days, the suction was performed by placing heated cups on the affected parts of the skin. As the temperature of the cups would fall, they’d contract, drawing the skin inside the cup.
Modern cupping therapy, on the other hand, uses glass cups or rubber pumps. It eliminates the need to heat the cups in order to create suction. There are two common methods of cupping that are used by most therapists.
This method only involves sucking the affected part, without any incisions.
This method involves making small incisions to allow medicinally controlled bleeding. The suction cup is then placed on the parts of skin with incisions to draw blood. After that, the cups are removed, the treated parts are cleaned with an ointment and covered with bandages.
What Are the Benefits of Cupping Therapy
Cupping is effective in healing a range of health conditions including:
- Swelling in the muscles
- Neck pain, back pain, and knee joint pain.
- Immune deficiency
- Skin conditions such as hives
- Anxiety and depression
- Asthma and respiratory allergies
The most common application of cupping therapy are:
- A number of research studies prove that cupping therapy works best when combined with a set of other therapies in holistic setting. It can be paired with acupuncture therapies, massage therapies, and Reiki treatments.
- According to research, cupping therapy also has an anti-inflammatory affect on individuals seeking the treatment for knee arthritis or other types of osteoarthritis.
- A 2012 study also showed the safety and therapeutic effects of cupping therapy on patients struggling with facial paralysis.
If you’re looking for a painless and effective cupping therapy in Long Island, NY, talk to our expert practitioners.
Based on your condition and current treatment plan, we offer personalized holistic healing methods to ease your pain. We also offer acupuncture Long Island NY, physical therapy, cupping therapy Long Island NY and holistic lifestyle coaching!
Learn more about our services here!